Sunday 9 December 2012

Favourite Sci-Fi Movies

 In no order other than the order I think of them:



 Solyaris/Solaris (1972, remake 2002)

I saw the 1972 film first, and I do think it is better, but is is longer, more silent, and requires a bit of patience (as does any Tarkovskiy movie). The 2002 remake is directed by Steven Soderbergh and stars George Clooney. I like that one as well.





Moon (2009)

I saw this in theater by myself one afternoon when I was living in Victoria. I really liked it, Sam Rockwell is very good as always.




2001: Space Odyssey (1968)

Without this one, who knows what the genre would look like today.



Bladerunner (1982)

Another example of what I love in Sci-Fi. Here is the opening scene:

 


 Eden Log (2009)

This is a little-known french Sci-Fi/Horror movie. It is good I think, but full of intense scenes with gnarly creatures in dark subterranean hallways, so if that doesn't sound like your bag, than steer clear.
You can read IMDB's plot summary here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087842/plotsummary


Quintet (1979)

This one is very cool. Directed by Robert Altman, It stars Paul Newman and takes place on Earth during a future ice-age.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079770/plotsummary

And here is the very trippy trailer:



THC 1138 (1971)

This is the directorial debut of George Lucas; it was originally a short that he wrote in college and later turned into a full-length film. It stars Robert Duvall in a movie that has a lot of similarities to 1984...only set in the 25th century.

Stalker (1979)

This is another by Tarkovsky, so you'll need to find one with subtitles unless your Russian is up to snuff. Just like other Tarkovsky films this one long, quiet, and surreal. I find it hard to give it a blanket recommendation, because I know there are those for whom it would not be enjoyable. However, if it is your bag you'll love it, and there is no shame in taking an intermission or two!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/plotsummary



Alien (1979)

 I don't think this one needs any introduction



Primer (2004)

This film has a very innovative take on time travel. When it is over you'll be trying to put the pieces together, pouring over fan-made flowcharts and the like...or not.



Gattaca (1997)

As per recommendation. A genetic thriller?




5 comments:

  1. You're right, that one was very good

    I think I'll go edit that one in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although closer to fantasy, you would struggle to really call it SF, I also do love the 1998 film 'Dark City'.

    Also: Twelve fucking Monkeys.

    As for Solaris, yeah I've heard so many negative reviews of the George Clooney version vs the original... thing is, the George Clooney version is the only one I've ever seen, and at the time I saw it was unaware it was even a remake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Serenity. It is kind of a continuation of the TV series though - I'm not sure how good it is as a stand-alone movie!

    If you like Joss Whedon you'll love this clip where he talks about the zombie apocalypse:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPTzCK9d2fk

    ReplyDelete