Thursday 18 July 2013

Super-Kamiokande: neutrino detector

In Japan, near the village of Higashi-Mozumi, 1.8 km into a horizontal mine-shaft underneath Mt.Ikenoyama, there is the coolest looking detector I have ever seen. It looks like something straight out of science-fiction.

The purpose of the Super-Kamiokande is to detect neutrinos . These particles are of great interest to physicists, but they are so far undetectable. Well, there are high-energy neutrinos that are 'artificially' created during nuclear reactions, and these are detectable, but the ones that are of interest are those formed 1 second after the big bang - these ancient particles do not interact normally with matter, and are even thought to comprise 0.3% of dark matter.

Anyway, for more on that try this article. I mostly just wanted to post pictures of the detector, which is a body of water surrounded by photomultiplier tubes (see after the cut):












3 comments:

  1. hey, plz tell me where that guy is rowing in that chamber ... not sure where in the detector he is ...inventorz at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please delete my comment and my account... soluzer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please delete my comment and my account... soluzer

    ReplyDelete