Saturday 7 December 2013

A discussion

It's always nice to come across a sensible conversation on belief and non-belief as opposed to the usual "debates" where the same old points get dragged out and beaten senseless. Here we have a discussion between Seth Andrews AKA the Thinking Atheist and a Methodist minister named Bob.



It's very interesting, and I think it's safe to say that if all Christians shared Bob's views the world would be a better place. Still, I certainly align myself with Seth here in questioning just where Bob's belief comes from. I have seen this before: when good moral Christians come across scriptures in the Bible that seemingly (and sometimes blatantly) endorse an immoral ethic they do - as Seth calls it - a little "tap dance". It seems so clear to me that the shape of Christianity resulting from this dance is tailor-made to suit the individual's desires and intrinsic moral sense, rather than that moral sense coming in any way from the Christian teachings. In this new flavour of Christianity there is no hell, no condemnation of gay people, no angry genocidal god; all that doesn't fit into the modern moral landscape is chucked. And that's all great, I'd definitely prefer that people believed in this way as opposed to the way that Pat Robertson or Rush Limbaugh believes, but it certainly doesn't do anything to lessen my skepticism. At least I have to wonder if Christianity is really the religion best suited for these people. One of the callers pointed out that Bob really seems to be Unitarian at heart, which I found very interesting.

Anyway, all this talk of Bob put this song in my mind (by the Drive-By Truckers):









No comments:

Post a Comment